THERE AND BACK AGAIN

A Dork's Tale by Alex Great

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Christian Rock rules the Arkansas Radio-waves


The Graceland mansion was more like a really big house, but it was still pretty cool. The inside was decorated just how the King left it, 70's chic. Bright colors. Gold plated everything. And plush carpeting... on the ceiling! The Jungle room was awesome; I didn't realize Elvis had such a knick-knack fetish.


After crossing the Mississippi my drive became pretty bizarre, but not for the reasons you might think.


At one point while driving I realized that I hadn't seen a fellow NY license plate since I getting into Virgina. Not a second after that thought went through my head, a New Yorker passed me. Then, while driving by Hope, Arkansas, the moment I read a sign announcing it as the birth place of former President Bill Clinton, a commercial on the radio about 90's music made a Monica Lewinski joke. Needless to say, I think proceeded to focus all my thoughts on a million dollars... no luck though.

Once I got to Dallas I had to veg out. The drive took forever, and beyond that, I was staying in the swankiest Best Western I'd ever seen. I had a king sized bed and 5 fluffy pillows. I ordered room service and watched "Heavy Weights" on TBS, best night ever!

Before leaving Dallas I went to see the JFK memorial, because it was the only point of interest I found interesting. Sadly it proved to disappoint. The concept for the memorial was awesome, however the structure itself was an eye-sore. It's a cement cube hollowed out with no top (so basically a stone room in the middle of the city with no roof), the idea however was to provide an area to think where you can block out the city but still stay connected to the sky and earth.


Cool idea, bad execution. Supposedly it looks a lot prettier at night when it's lit up, but wouldn't you want a memorial that doesn't need darkness in order to look good?

No comments:

Post a Comment